Toasted Lemon Quinoa Cabbage Salad
Here’s a unique new salad recipe to try, that’s far from ordinary. With cabbage, green olives, chickpeas, quinoa and a lemony dressing, this salad really satisfies! It’s fantastic as a meal all on its own, or to be served with a larger meal.
There are many elements of this salad that stand out, most particularly the green olives. With a creamy feel and smooth taste, these olives are a perfect pair with the lemony dressing. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself making this salad time and time again – and sharing with your friends and family. Enjoy!
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
Here’s what you need
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup red quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ head Savoy cabbage (about 1 pound), cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 ounces pitted large green olives, such as Castelvetrano or Cerinola, halved (about ¾ cup)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Stir in quinoa and ½ teaspoon salt, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Uncover, raise heat to high, and cook until water evaporates and quinoa is dry and tender, about 5 minutes (stir frequently to prevent scorching)
- Heat 1 Tablespoon oil, cabbage, 1 teaspoon salt in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden brown in places, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add remaining oil to skillet. Return sautéed cabbage to skillet, add quinoa, and raise heat to high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until quinoa is toasted and crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chickpeas, olives, and lemon zest and juice, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
107 calories, 5g fat, 401mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, and 3g protein
I hope that you get a chance to give this recipe a try this week. Remember that I’m only a call or email away to assist you in all things fitness. And if you are not yet one of my prized clients then call or email me now to set up your first workout – I’d love to help you achieve your best body ever!
Mike Todd Fitness
Share this delicious healthy recipe by forwarding it to your friends and family! Click Here to share it on Facebook